While Wilson may be better known for its rackets, they also have a wide range of tennis strings to suit all levels of tennis players whether they are looking for power, spin or comfort. This article will look at the best Wilson Tennis Strings you can buy and give recommendations for beginner, intermediate and advanced players.
5 Best Wilson Tennis Strings
Wilson Sensation Tennis String
Wilson Sensation is a multifilament Tennis String that comes in a few different variations including Comfort, Control and Plus and with different tennis string gauges ranging from 15 (for more durability) to 18 (for more feel).
If you have ever bought a prestrung Wilson Tennis Racket then chances are that it was strung using the Wilson Sensation Tennis String as it is the cheapest Wilson String on the market. The Wilson Sensation Tennis String is perfect for beginners or players who are looking for an arm friendly string.
The only downside to the Wilson Sensation Tennis String is its durability. If you are a heavy hitter then you may find that the strings will need to be changed frequently. However, if you are a beginner, then this will be less of an issue for you.
Pros of Using Wilson Sensation Tennis String
- Good quality string at a low price
- Arm Friendly String
- Gives susprisely good feel on your shots for a cheap string
Cons of Using Wilson Sensation Tennis String
- Poor Durability (Not recommended for advanced players who hit heavy top spin shots)
Wilson NXT Tennis String
The Wilson NXT is a multifilament tennis string that has been one of Wilson’s top selling tennis strings over the last 10 years. The Wilson NXT plays very similar to the Wilson Sensation and is aimed at beginner to intermediate tennis players who have compact to medium strokes.
The Wilson NXT focuses on giving players good comfort and power which makes it ideal for those players who have not yet developed a full swing on their shots.
Pros of Using Wilson NXT Tennis String
- Provides good comfort and power on your shots
- Good forgiveness on off centre shots.
Cons of Using Wilson NXT Tennis String
- Not a very spin friendly string
- Playability decreases over time so you will need to regularly restring
- Extra power comes at the cost of control
Wilson Revolve Spin Tennis String
As you can probably guess from its name, the Wilson Revolve Spin Tennis String is designed to be a super spin friendly string and is aimed at more advanced tennis players who hit a heavy ball with a full swing.
Pros of Using Wilson Revolve Spin Tennis String
- Provides good spin on your shots
- Provides good comfort on your shots
- Good at retaining string tension so the playability of the racket lasts for longer.
Cons of Using Wilson Revolve Spin Tennis String
- Strings are more focused on control rather than power so won’t suit all players
Wilson Champion’s Choice
Wilson’s Champion’s Choice is the string setup used by the great Roger Federer and is a combination of Wilson’s Natural Gut and Luxilon’s ALU Power Rough. Champion’s Choice is very popular with recreational players that want to emulate Roger.
The combination of Wilson’s Natural Gut in the mains and Luxilon’s ALU Power Rough in the crosses gives you a good balance of power, spin and feel. However, it is one of the more pricey string options you can use for your tennis racket with Wilson Champion’s Choice being around 4 times more expensive than Wilson Sensation Tennis Strings for example.
Pros of Using Wilson Champion’s Choice Tennis String
- Provides a good combination of power and feel on your shots
- Very Spin Friendly
- The combination of the naturual gut and the ALU Power Rough gives you a very unquie feel on your shots
Cons of Using Wilson Champion’s Choice Tennis String
- A lot more expensive than other string options out there
- Strings aren’t very durable so you will need to restring your racket often
Wilson Natural Gut
Natural Gut tennis strings are made from cow intestines in comparison with other strings that are made from polyester or nylon.
When it comes to playability and feel nothing comes close to a natural gut tennis string with top players like Roger Federer using them in their hybrid setups. However, the big downside to using Natural gut is the cost.
Pros of Using Wilson Natural Gut Tennis String
- Great playability and feel on your shots
- Natural gut is very soft on your arm
- Natural Gut Strings hold tension very well
Cons of Using Wilson Natural Gut Tennis String
- Natural Gut Strings tend to break more frequently than synthetic gut strings so that only adds to the cost of using Natural Gut.
Our Tennis String Recommendations
Beginners – Wilson Sensation – If you are a tennis beginner then it makes little sense to invest in an expensive string setup and instead I would recommend that you go for a cheap option like the Wilson Sensation String.
Intermediate – If you are an intermediate player looking for some extra power then I would recommend the Wilson NXT Power. If you are looking for more control then I recommend the Wilson NXT Control string.
Advanced – My recommendation for more advanced tennis players would be to either go for Wilson Natural Gut or Wilson Champion’s Choice. If you are on a budget then the Wilson Revolve Spin is a good alternative.